Today, my 7 year old child told me he had to bring a flower into school. Out of curiosity I asked why. My heart should have known better. This is the child who has been in and out of love several times in his short life. When he loves, he loves with all of his heart. A Mom should be able to hold her child's heart for as long as possible. I lost the 7 year old's heart the day he started preschool. This is not fair to me. But life continues to move on and my child has once again fallen in love. Last year, Bailey, held his heart. Sadly, this year she is not in his 2nd grade class. He searched for awhile for that perfect girl (by awhile I mean the 2 months since school restarted) and he has found her. Her name is Breonna. I have not met Breonna yet, but I have been informed that I must meet her soon. Her birthday was on October 30th. My son had planned to bring her a birthday present to school, but he forgot and she was not in class that day. Finally, this morning, he remembered. I suggested if he wanted to bring her a gift that he should pick one of the pretty flowers from the front yard. He agreed and did so. Off to school he went, carrying the prettiest peach hibiscus he could find on the bush. My heart melted watching him walk into the school without a care for what anyone in that school would say, except for Breonna. I don't know all of what happened during the day, but when my sweet boy came home, he informed me that the flower had broken. Breonna was sad and he felt badly for her. He asked her what other flower she would like and planned to replace it. After some razzing from friends, Breonna assured my child's heart that she liked him and only him and would accepted any flower he chose for her. The 7 year old, after some thought, decided that a fake rose would be the best. it is a beautiful flower and will 'live' forever with a small chance of breaking. He dug into my vase of fake yellow roses and chose 2. After cutting the stems to size and searching for some pretty string, he tied the roses together and placed them in his backpack. My child is now full of joy and hope for this love interest of his. He received hugs during gym and has exclaimed numerous times tonight how long he has waited for the perfect girl. Thursday, November 06, 2008
The Yellow Roses
Today, my 7 year old child told me he had to bring a flower into school. Out of curiosity I asked why. My heart should have known better. This is the child who has been in and out of love several times in his short life. When he loves, he loves with all of his heart. A Mom should be able to hold her child's heart for as long as possible. I lost the 7 year old's heart the day he started preschool. This is not fair to me. But life continues to move on and my child has once again fallen in love. Last year, Bailey, held his heart. Sadly, this year she is not in his 2nd grade class. He searched for awhile for that perfect girl (by awhile I mean the 2 months since school restarted) and he has found her. Her name is Breonna. I have not met Breonna yet, but I have been informed that I must meet her soon. Her birthday was on October 30th. My son had planned to bring her a birthday present to school, but he forgot and she was not in class that day. Finally, this morning, he remembered. I suggested if he wanted to bring her a gift that he should pick one of the pretty flowers from the front yard. He agreed and did so. Off to school he went, carrying the prettiest peach hibiscus he could find on the bush. My heart melted watching him walk into the school without a care for what anyone in that school would say, except for Breonna. I don't know all of what happened during the day, but when my sweet boy came home, he informed me that the flower had broken. Breonna was sad and he felt badly for her. He asked her what other flower she would like and planned to replace it. After some razzing from friends, Breonna assured my child's heart that she liked him and only him and would accepted any flower he chose for her. The 7 year old, after some thought, decided that a fake rose would be the best. it is a beautiful flower and will 'live' forever with a small chance of breaking. He dug into my vase of fake yellow roses and chose 2. After cutting the stems to size and searching for some pretty string, he tied the roses together and placed them in his backpack. My child is now full of joy and hope for this love interest of his. He received hugs during gym and has exclaimed numerous times tonight how long he has waited for the perfect girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment