Monday, August 08, 2005

Cold Cat

Ryan completely enjoyed his first day of preschool, and in true fashion of a growing boy came home and rushed the refrigerator. Yes you can see where this story is heading already. I am in the process of changing a yucky diaper of Dylan's and so basically stuck and unable to help Ryan. He's a big boy, he can do it, he assures me. He dives into the fridge head first looking for anything that he can grab and then runs off leaving the fridge door wide open. Typical, I think. I get up from changing Dylan, walk through the kitchen and slam the fridge door closed, into the bathroom to stop Ryan from spitting water everywhere around the counter tops, throw away the dirty diaper, into the bedroom to throw the dirty clothes into the clothes basket and close the dresser drawer that Ryan left wide open after so nicely getting a clean diaper for Dylan. I turned around and walk past the bathroom telling Ryan again to stop spitting water everywhere. He looks at me with chipmunk cheeks and mumbles something about watching the water spill down the drain and water dribbles from his mouth. Hey Ryan, I hear the kitten crying - did she get locked into one of the rooms? I don't know Mama! Hmm that is never the case with Ryan, he knows everything that goes on in this house. He is my little informant. I ask again, where is Clover? as I hear her insistent cries for help. Ryan just smiles. Not a good sign! I walk around the house to the usual spots where our cats hide and subsequently get stuck and there is no Clover anywhere. I walk back through the kitchen on my way to the other side of the house, and yes now you really know where this story is going. The fridge door that I slammed shut is now talking to me. Little tiny meow sounds it is making. Hmm this isn't a normal refrigerator sound. I open the door and out pours our tiny kitten Clover. She is a little cold, a little scared and hauling butt across the house, probably never to step a paw into the kitchen again. I turn to my oh so darling child and say 'Ryan, Clover was in the fridge!' and I get his most adorable up-to-no-good smile and a nod while he answers "oops I guess I left her in there" while running off giggling.
~~

No comments: